No matter what job function you perform, it is important to be taken seriously as a competent, dependable employee. If your co-workers are not regarding you seriously, check the following list of “do’s” and “don’ts” to see if you have fallen into any bad habits:
- One: Are you dressing appropriately for the job? Although many workplaces no longer have official dress codes, every workplace has an unofficial dress code. What is the official/unofficial code in your office? Are you following those rules? If not, figure out what you need to change in your appearance to be in compliance.
- Two: Are you punctual? Can your co-workers rely on you to be where you say you will be when you are supposed to be there? If not, you know what you need to do—and quickly!
- Three: Do you listen carefully when others are giving you assignments? Are you listening carefully and following directions given to you by others? If not, you know what you need to do—and quickly!
- Four: Do you follow through on all your work assignments? Are you completing your assignments and presenting your results to your employer in a clear manner? If not, you know what you need to do—and quickly!
- Five: Do you take yourself seriously? If you don’t treat yourself with respect and take yourself seriously, no one else ever will. If you know you are performing your job well, take pride in your accomplishments and others will follow suit.
- Six: Enjoy your work. Follow these tips and have a great day.