1. Dumpster Diving. Thieves rummage through trash looking for bills or other paper with your personal information on it.
2. Skimming. Thieves steal credit/debit card numbers by using a special storage device when processing your card.
3. Phishing. Thieves pretend to be financial institutions or companies and send spam or pop-up messages to get you to reveal your personal information.
4. Changing Your Address. Thieves divert your billing statements to another location by completing a change of address form.
5. Old-Fashioned Stealing. Thieves steal wallets and purses; mail, including bank and credit card statements; pre-approved credit offers; and new checks or tax information. They steal personnel records, or bribe employees who have access.